Is Toothpaste Necessary For Your Dental Routine?
The first thing you do after waking up in the morning is to brush your teeth. You take your electric toothbrush and a refreshing toothpaste, rinse and repeat. Like this, toothpaste has become integral to your daily dental routine. But did you know that many kinds of toothpaste contain harmful ingredients like Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS)?
It raises the question, is toothpaste necessary to keep your teeth healthy? Is that an option? Let's learn about the pros and cons of using toothpaste in everyday life.
Is brushing without toothpaste better?
For decades, you believed that toothpaste is necessary and that your oral care is incomplete without it. Various studies have claimed that toothpaste doesn't add value to plaque reduction, and its use doesn't make much difference in your dental routine. Additionally, most toothpaste contains harmful ingredients that may cause abrasive damage to your teeth.
Some other sources also claim that an electric toothbrush works better than a manual toothbrush, even without toothpaste. Its design ensures complete coverage within your teeth, reaching the far-situated creeks and corners of your mouth, providing you with spotless cleaning.
Is toothpaste necessary for plaque removal?
Dental plaque is a thin bacterial layer that accumulates on the surface of your teeth which, if not removed, will damage your teeth. It may also solidify and stick to your teeth in the worst case. One of the most prominent causes of tooth decay is plaque, so it is essential to eliminate it with a regular toothbrush or a smart toothbrush.
So, if you want to know, is brushing without toothpaste better in removing plaque? The answer is yes. Toothpaste is not required to eradicate plaque. The bristle of your smart toothbrush is enough to eliminate the microorganisms on its own. Even if you wash your teeth dry regularly, you can avoid tooth decay. The purpose of tooth brushing is to remove plaque from the teeth physically. To do so efficiently, you must know how to wash your teeth correctly.
Even though not using toothpaste looks like a great option, would you stop using toothpaste completely? Is toothpaste necessary?
Why is using toothpaste important?
The most common question that is probably clouding your mind right now is if the toothpaste has so many disadvantages and can be harmful to some extent, why is it still used?
Despite its harmful adversities, those tubes of toothpaste are known to have several other benefits, such as-
- The refreshing taste – Even though your toothpaste may not be able to prevent plaque, you will not enjoy brushing your teeth on a dry surface. The need for brushing is not just to keep your mouth clean but also to provide a certain level of satisfaction after finishing the task. The minty flavor your toothpaste carries provides freshness to your sleepy eyes in the morning.
- Goodbye to bad breath – Brushing your teeth dry will not help you get a fresh breath in the morning. One of the best things a toothpaste can do is add freshness to your breath and removes any bad breath.
- Pearly teeth - Everyone wants to have pearly white teeth, and brushing with the best sonic electric toothbrush alone will not help. As toothpaste contains whitening agents brushing your teeth with refreshing toothpaste can help whiten your teeth. However, you must also know that there's no substitute for professional tooth whitening treatment to clean highly stained teeth.
- Balance out the PH level – The next time you ask yourself, "is toothpaste necessary?" you must know that having an acidic food item changes the pH of your saliva, which might even trigger tooth decay. Since toothpaste contains Sodium Phosphate, it can convert acidic saliva, which may result in tooth decay.
- Let's fight sensitivity - Potassium Nitrate is an excellent agent in your toothpaste that helps you deal with teeth sensitivity.
Can you brush your teeth with just water?
The benefits that toothpaste carries cannot be overlooked entirely. However, a safer alternative can be explored when it comes to brushing, and that is brushing your teeth with just water!
Brushing your teeth with just water is very much possible. Still, the physical brushes' acceleration will not significantly affect plaque removal and cleaning debris formed inside the mouth. A high-frequency brush such as Oclean's sonic toothbrush must be used to see substantial change.
A sonic electronic toothbrush is a form of brush that offer frequency as high as over 80000 movements per minute, providing vibration that helps deal with plaque and debris removal effectively and efficiently. But even with an electric toothbrush, you don't know how can I clean my teeth without toothpaste to attain optimal hygiene. Right?
How to clean your teeth without toothpaste?
While there are numerous natural remedies to clean your teeth, using a proper toothbrush is the most effective option. Not any random toothbrush will be able to achieve the best result. Only high-frequency electric toothbrushes can provide a movement of 80000 per minute.
The best part is it can effectively clean every untouched corner of your mouth. Numerous smart toothbrush brands are available in the market, but you will love Oclean the most as it is dentist recommended brand and approved by the ADA. In addition, it also comes with a built-in timer, so you will be notified after every 30 seconds to change your oral quadrant. Therefore, choose your electric toothbrush carefully instead of investing in different toothpaste flavors to ensure an optimal oral routine.
*Cover image from Freepik@zinkevych, we will delete it if constitutes infringement *