5 Best Toothbrushes for Braces in 2022
Braces on! What’s the best toothbrush?
If you just got your braces done, then the next thing you should worry about is your oral hygiene. Some of you might wonder why is that? It’s because compromised dental hygiene equals delayed braces treatment and, eventually, treatment failure. According to the American Dental Association, dental hygiene is best maintained by brushing your teeth twice daily for 2 minutes.
In this article, we will talk about;
- Guide to buying the best toothbrush
- Top 6 toothbrushes for braces
- Manual or electric – which one is better
Guide to buying the best toothbrush:
What to look for when buying the best toothbrush for braces? The answer to this is pretty simple and is based on the following 5 things:
- Cleaning effectiveness – it must reach every surface of the tooth and orthodontic appliances such as braces.
- Flexibility – the head and handle of the toothbrush must be flexible enough to reach every area of the oral cavity
- Battery timing – in the case of an electric brush, the charging power, as well as the battery power, are important factors to look for
- Travel friendliness – the brush should be compact enough to fit in a small travel pouch.
Top 5 toothbrushes for braces:
1. Y Kelin V Shaped Orthodontic Toothbrush:
The first one on our list is a manual toothbrush. Is it better than the electric one? Well, that’s a debatable topic and will be discussed in this article's latter section.
Y Kelin V Shaped Orthodontic Toothbrush has;
- Soft bristles at an angle of 45o– make them an ideal candidate for cleaning around braces as the bristles reach every part of the bracket.
- Interdental brush – comes with the packing.
The only downside reported by its users is that the bristles are extremely soft and fail to give an effective clean.
2. Oclean X Pro Elite Smart Electric toothbrush:
The next one in line is a sonic electric toothbrush, i.e. its bristles make 84,000 movements per minute. Unlike the Y Kelin V Shaped manual toothbrush, its soft bristles are W-shaped, which can clean the parts around the braces.
In addition to the effective clean, Oclean X Pro Elite has;
- Battery life of more than a month
- Waterproof coating
- Soundless technology – as opposed to other electric toothbrushes. It also has a brushing timer for you to check whether or not you’ve brushed for 2 minutes (ADA recommended time)
- Wireless charging – which means no strangling of the charging wire
- 4 Modes, i.e. clean, sensitive, massage and white – the massage mode is ideal for braces
- Value for money – cost-effective pricing when compared with other electric toothbrusheswith equivalent features
With over 602 positive reviews, it is one of the best electric toothbrushes.
The only downside of these electric brushes is that they don’t have a travel case. However, it can be bought separately.
3. Oclean Kids Electric toothbrush:
This smart toothbrush is designed specifically for kids aged 6 to 12 years. The most distinguishing feature it has is the sodium fluoride bristles. Fluoride has anti-bacterial properties that effectively inhibit dental decay making them an ideal candidate for small children with braces.
Oclean Kids Electric toothbrush has the following features;
- Sodium Fluoride bristles
- Battery life of 1 month and Fast charging
- Has a pressure sensor – prevents kids from exerting excessive pressure
- Aesthetically pleasing look for the child
Regarding this particular electric brush, no cons have been reported so far.
4. Colgate Wisp Max Fresh Mini toothbrush:
This is a manual toothbrush effective for use one time only. It has soft bristles with a dot-sized gel in between them. This gel dissolves when it comes into contact with braces and teeth.
Colgate Wisp Max Fresh Mini toothbrush has the following features;
- Gel in between bristles – prevent the need for rinsing
- Handle with a pointed end – you can remove the food lodged in the spaces between teeth and orthodontic brackets.
- Travel friendly
The downside of these brushes is that they can only be used once and must be disposed of after the first use. Moreover, its users have reported that the gel feels like plastic being rubbed on teeth.
5. Oclean Air 2T Sonic Electric toothbrush:
Its sonic vibrations (80,000 per minute) are slightly less than the X Pro variant previously discussed. The soft vibrating bristles of this toothbrush effectively clean plaque and food debris around braces.
Oclean Air 2T has the following features:
- Long Battery life of 30 days
- Powerful cleaning ability – eases the process of cleaning
- Ultra-quiet technology
- Travel friendly – comes with a travel case
- Wireless charger
Manual or electric – Which one is better
2 schools of thought exist regarding the choice of a toothbrush. One of them says that electric toothbrushes are better than manual ones, while the other contradicts this belief. In our opinion, electric toothbrushes are better because they remove plaque effectively and quickly compared to manual toothbrushes. This trait will save your visit to the dental office.
With time, modern-day toothbrushes have evolved significantly into sonic electric toothbrushes and rotating oscillating toothbrushes. When it comes to orthodontic treatment, a.k.a. braces, sonic electric toothbrushes are the best. This is because of the following reasons:
- Sonic electric toothbrushes have more power than simple rotating, oscillating ones. This makes them more effective in removing plaque.
- Sonic toothbrushes work on fluid dynamic technology. This makes them more effective in cleaning the spaces between teeth.
- The plaque-removing efficacy of sonic electric toothbrushes is proven by research.
- Rotating oscillating toothbrushes are more costly as compared to sonic electric toothbrushes.
The best toothbrush should effectively remove plaque from the teeth. In addition, they should be flexible, cost-effective, and travel-friendly. Electric toothbrushes are superior to manual ones. The best toothbrush for braces in kids is the Oclean Kids Electric toothbrush, and for adults is the Oclean X Pro Elite Smart Electric toothbrush.